[Amps] QEX Innovative Tube Linear?

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Sat Jul 8 01:38:31 EDT 2006

See below;

On 7/8/06 at 12:31 AM Tom W8JI wrote:

>Hi Will,
>
>I'm still not sure I understand fully. I'll try one last
>time.
>
>Will replied:
>> Watch what is quoted as some here have saved the posts. I
>> said "I would have been fired" for designing something
>> outside the limits of a specification, not anyone else. I
>> can tell you also that an inside engineer can tell you
>> anything, and if you don't have it in writing, the
>> manufacturer can surely back out on a warranty if they
>> want to. The comparisons about someone losing a license
>> concerned only myself (being fired) or an example about an
>> engineer causing bodily harm or death of an end user
>> because of faulty equipment. If a law suit begins, and
>> something is designed past its stated maximums, the
>> engineer can be held liable for it. Any engineer can tell
>> you this. If they are the engineer in charge, they are
>> responsible liability wise. The only out is to have a
>> letter from the parts manufacturer giving a go-ahead for
>> one particular use.
>> 900 Vdc is the design-maximum by GE, I'm not quoting RCA.
>> Read the GE sheets and you'll see the difference. Most
>> sweep tube curves don't show the design-maximum anode
>> voltage. They stop about 1/2 way or a little below.>>>
>
>As I understand your answer, because the sweep tubes have no
>warranty it doesn't really matter how you run them even for
>long periods of time. If a tube has a warranty, momentarily
>operating outside data sheet maximum CCS  operating specs
>during tuning and adjustments is very bad engineering. On
>the other hand, if the tube has no warranty it is acceptable
>engineering to operate outside specs.

NO, sweep tubes had a warranty for TV service, not for RF amplifier service. The only two sweep type tubes that were warrantied for RF amplifiers by GE were the 8950, and the M-2057. Then the warranty was only good if you kept their operating conditions under the design-maximum value. No where did I say you can run any GE sweep tube above this value. Other manufacturers may be different like RCA, etc.. If your buying from them, then don't exceed their design-maximum value, or what service they are put into unless you plan on warranting them yourself. It doesn't matter how you run them, just don't expect to have a warranty from the tube manufacturer if you go over their maximum ratings.

>This is despite the fact that thoriated tungsten directly
>heated tubes like 3-500Z's are not life-sensitive to
>excessive anode voltage or emission current.
>As I also understand, in the case of sweep tubes, which have
>metal oxide cathodes, there is no splatter or short term
>problems when you operate outside published curves.

Who said this? They splatter just like any other tube if not operated correctly. Plus in a sweep tube, it is much easier to destroy its life by operating them outside the published specs (higher than recommended anode voltage and cathode currents). Any indirectly heated cathode can be killed this way, sweep tubes being the easiest.

With a
>3-500Z, it just won't work to do the very same thing.
>
>This is despite the fact metal oxide indirectly heated
>cathode tubes are damaged by excessive anode voltage and
>excessive emission even for short periods of time.

Correct, so why are you saying above it's ok to run them outside the specs or published curves? What I posted was the design-maximums for GE, not another brand except one Amperex, and one Phillips. At one time, when GE was in production on sweep tubes, you could get the curves up to the design maximums. They took up a whole 8-1/2 x 11 sheet. They used to send out a stack of info to the OEM who was using the tube. If buying large quantities, you could get inspection test results on every 250 tubes as they came off the line. Whats shown in most small tube books is only the tip of the iceberg on what's available engineering wise from GE. The GE application sheets had more info than the small handbooks by RCA, etc on receiving type tubes. If you can find them, GE published all these application sheets in several large 3 ring binders similar to the way Eimac did. There was typically 5 to 7 pages per tube.

>Is my understanding correct?

Nope.

One can run any tube anyway one wants, just don't expect to get a free replacement from the tube manufacturer when it goes poof if it's ran outside the specs....