[Amps] SD1460 BJT TSPA

John T. M. Lyles jtml at lanl.gov
Mon Jul 10 14:24:36 EDT 2006

We used both the TRW Bordeaux TP9383 and the Thomson SD1460 in the
250 watt IPA stage for the Broadcast Electronics FM transmitters in
the early 1980s. Both parts are rated for narrow band operation, over
88 - 108 in 'class C' common emitter operation. They have emitter
ballasting which is characterized over that range. All of the data
sheets only included RF characteristics from 88 - 108. If you try to
use them at lower freuquency, and also in linear operation, you are
totally on your own, as that wasn't their intended market. There are
no designs that I know of that used them at 6 m. I thought 70 MHz was
middle of band I VHF analogue television?

These were early bipolar parts, with 16 amp collector current and 150
watt output. Wouldn't it seem beneficial to use some more recent
devices for a new design, using either VMOS or LDMOS transistors?
Taking them out of their intended band and trying to get the matching
right, is like shooting in the dark. Of course, if one had a trimmer
capacitor on each element, you could eventually find a workable
setting, but it will be narrow tuned, and possibly you will melt a
bond wire or fry the transistor before finding the optimal spot for
high power.

73
John
K5PRO