[Amps] Switching Power Supplies

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Fri Jul 14 15:29:02 EDT 2006

Tony,

What is the waveform coming out? Is it a square wave, or is it a modified sine wave (a stair steeped square wave that supposed to mimick a sine wave)? If it were me, I'd want the square wave, rectify it, and then filter it well. All older modile tube amps worked this way, so did automotive radios that used a vibrator, and later semis to switch with. One needs to rectify it first, then filter it thoroughly the same as any other supply. In your case you'd probably be using a choke instead of a transformer, or will you be switching a transformer? There's several ways to set these up. In any instance, the weight savings is due to using a higher frequency.

Best,

Will