[Amps] Switching Power Supplies

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Fri Jul 14 17:23:58 EDT 2006

> The reason I chose a small switcher for my filament supply
> was to
> provide a stable DC filament voltage over changing input
> line voltages. The switcher I found was a fully shielded
> commercial variety that appears to be relatively RFI free,
> weighs less than the transformer normally used and
> generates none of the heat an analog regulator produces.

Filament or emission life is virtually never an issue for
amateur service. All the worry comes from commercial
applications, where the tube runs 24/ 7/ 52 weeks a year.

In amateur service the primary problems are turning the tube
filament off and on over and over again, extended periods of
non use allowing gassing, and just plain bad tubes. In
amateur service we are lucky to see 500-1000 hours a year.
It'll be long gone for some other reason before the emission
rolls out.

In commercial service the tube sits and runs never being
cycled, usually running at a small fraction of ratings. A
tube often sees over 8000 hours a year and they might try to
milk it out for a few years, so emission or filament life is
a concern.

73 Tom