[Amps] Switching Power Supplies

Ian White GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Fri Jul 14 19:00:23 EDT 2006

Tony King - W4ZT wrote:

>The reason I chose a small switcher for my filament supply was to
>provide a stable DC filament voltage over changing input line voltages.

In Field Day use, with more than one station hooked up to the same
generator, there can be violent swings in the line voltage as stations
switch unpredictably between transmit and receive. A regulated
filament/heater supply could prevent damage due to insufficient cathode
temperature.

I'd certainly consider a switcher for that application. There is no
shortage of well-designed, well-shielded switchmode supplies with good
input and output filtering.

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK