[Amps] Switching Power Supplies

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Fri Jul 14 21:48:54 EDT 2006

> Why don't you ask these folks:
>
> http://www.wattsunlimited.com/
>
> Surely one of you have disected this thing already.  No,
> it's not a good supply for a "tube with handles", but it's
> pretty cool for what it is...

17% no load to full load regulation isn't so hot Joe. I'm
not sure how that would be for IM products or CW waveform
since power out is generally about the square of supply
voltage change. The CW waveform would look funny with that
much sag.

As for faults, the problem faced by a supply near the
negative rail, especially one with a grounded screen, is a
HV to ground fault dumps crap back into the supply. Most
supplies are pretty good at running into shorts, but they
are almost always terrible about handling reverse applied
voltages from supplies hundreds of times higher in voltage.

73 Tom