[Amps] Filament life

Gudguyham at aol.com Gudguyham at aol.com
Sat Jul 15 06:28:58 EDT 2006

In a message dated 7/15/2006 1:23:13 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rob at sherweng.com writes:

I was in  commercial broadcasting for about 25 years, and filament life
was an  issue.  What puzzles me, however, is Alpha's recommendation to
turn  off their amps if one is not going to use it for two hours.   If I
was going to be operating on and off during a Saturday, for example, my
inclination would be to leave it on until I was finished operating for
the day.   Any idea why Alpha says what they do?

I was also under the impression to leave the filaments running.  One  of the
first things I did with the many SB-220's I owned was to add a stand-by
switch so I would not have to shut down the filaments when I did a bare foot to  KW
comparison report on the air.  I am sure someone could make an argument
saying that cycling the filaments is not a problem,but it was always my belief
that if a good step start was not incorporated in the filament supply that the
constant cycling could eventually cut down on filament life.  it is a known
fact that 99% of light bulbs that burn out, burn out when they are first turned
 on, a big bright light for a second, and puff dead bulb!  73  Lou