[Amps] transformers

Roy Koeppe royanjoy at ncn.net
Sun Jul 16 15:06:49 EDT 2006

> "The SB220 transformer was designed for a kilowatt INPUT
> DC,
> which was the legal input when it was designed. This was
> about 450 mA at about 2200 volts. It was...(etc)"
>

> If this is so, why should anyone ever have bought an
> SB-220, when the
> SB-200 was also rated at that exact same power, with a
> much lower price?

Because the SB200 was not rated at a kilowatt input power,
as measured on the meters, on SSB.

But this seems wrong. When we tune up for maximum output with resulting
readings of 450 mA at 2200 volts on both amps, equaling one KW input
power key down on both, we can't drive the SB-220 any higher on its
plate meter than we can on the SB-200's plate meter during SSB voice
use. The higher peaks of current  would result in instantaneously lower
plate Z which would not be properly matched by the pi-net setting
adjustment. The only way we could achieve increased PEP would be to not
tune for the 450 mA previously stated. I assume this is what was really
meant.

73,    Roy  K6XK