[Amps] transformers

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Mon Jul 17 06:00:31 EDT 2006

> Well, I stated what I have used for measurement, and I
> realize that the Bird
> and Nye Viking are not a Hewlett Packard.  I can accept
> that both meters may
> be off by 10%, even though their accuracy is supposed to
> be about half of
> that.

One thing I have learned doing RF measurements almost every
day for 30 years or more is RF measurements are tougher to
do than most imagine.

The accuracy of a Bird 43 meter, when properly calibrated
and used, is + or - 5% of full scale anywhere on the scale.
Since they do not manufacture a 1500 watt slug, the best we
can rely on is + or - 125 watts at any power level with a
properly calibrated 2500 watt slug. Many people would be
surprised at how far off a new Bird 43 and slug combo can
be.

I know of several manufacturers that had great difficulty
making 1500 watts (measured by accurate means) with pairs of
3-500Z's when only 100 watts of exciter power was available.
HV had to be over 3500 volts.

73, Tom