[Amps] transformers

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Mon Jul 17 07:00:51 EDT 2006

> This is a problem with ANY manufacturer, I'd bet very few
> manufacturers of Ham gear own anything beyond a standard 43
> that has not been checked or calibrated in years.

Recently, at least three manufacturers have taken calibration of their
products seriously.  I believe Alpha (4510/4520), Array Solutions
(PowerMaster), and now Larry Phipps' LP-100 product are calibrated against a
NIST traceable wattmeter, and incorporate frequency and temperature
compensation techniques.

Larry has spent a considerable amount of time with the design and
calibration of his directional coupler as evidenced in recent QEX article.
It's a start, and let's hope more manufacturers are willing to do the same.

Paul, W9AC