[Amps] RF Chokes

Harold Mandel ka1xo at juno.com
Mon Jul 17 10:36:31 EDT 2006

In the Alpha 77Sx retrofit my RFC started out at about 200uH with 18AWG on a
12" Teflon
1.25" diameter form, bypassed at the cold end with 1,000pF at 90KVaR.

Two chokes needed to be added: One, a "VHF" choke, at about 10uH was added
prior to the
bypass cap. Another, a 12AWG on a 1" ceramic form was added at 90-degrees to
the main RFC. This moved the series resonance to 26 MHz on the network. I
then added 680pF
on the cold end of the 10uH choke, and that kept RF from my anode outboard
supply,
but I still added two 750pF HT-57's on either side of a 128uH choke in a
filter in the anode
supply chassis as I run open wire feed for a couple of feet in the shack and
there is some
stray RF that might be coupling to the anode supply wires from cabinet to
cabinet.

The system exhibits no glitches, but I run mostly 160 through 40 at home, so
I can't
report on 20, 15 and 10.

Hal
W4HBM