[Amps] Grid fuses (was: Life and gain of 3-500Z)

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Wed Jul 19 14:22:02 EDT 2006

> Why would a person put a fuse between a control grid and
> ground?
>
> First, if we want to protect for grid current from drive
> power it should be an electronic protection. Any fuse is
> well-known to be too unreliable in a system like a control
> grid.

This brings up a point I've often considered...

Is grid damage resulting from over-drive primarily the result of
instantaneous high Ig, or is it more from a combination of both high Ig and
duration?  It would seem that if a grid is relatively immune to short bursts
of high Ig, then a fast-acting fuse would be appropriate.  On the other
hand, if most damage to the grid occurs very quickly, then one would
probably want fast-acting, electronic protection.

Paul, W9AC