[Amps] grid fuses

Lon W. Cottingham k5jv at kingwoodcable.com
Fri Jul 21 17:48:41 EDT 2006

Greetings to all,

            This discussion has deteriorated  to that of electing officers
at a 7th grade 4H Club Meeting.  The original point has long been forgotten.
Who cares what you call it; grid protection or grid fusing.  The results is
what we should be after, not all this, mostly unrelated, speculation and
theory.

            One thread that I have taken from this bilious discussion is
that some of you do not realize that most of the commercially built Amateur
triode linear amplifiers throughout the 70's, 80's, and 90's have floating
grids, of one sort, or another.  It is time to pull the heads out of the
sand and realize this.

             More often than not, when the "big bang" occurs, the tube/s are
lost/shorted.  Anyone who has been repairing amps and uses "grid fusing"
knows that the loss of tubes is reduced by approximately 50% with grid
fusing when the "big bang" occurs (at least that has been my findings over
the past 25 to 30 years repairing 3 or 4 linears each and every month.  I do
not care why it works or what you call it, it works.  In my opinion, grid
protection, of some sort, should be a standard upgrade, along with anode
surge resistors, in any amplifier repair or restoration.  Inexpensive 1/4 or
1/2 watt resistors are the most cost effective way to do this that I have
found.  This idea of using anode surge suppressing resistors alone, as has
been suggested by some of us,  to protect the tube/s is like starting to
brush your teeth after they all have cavities.

         I would like to see a thread start on trying to salvage shorted
tubes.  My success ratio over the years has been about 1 in five.  Richard
has mentioned a technique of spinning the shorted tube at a high speed in
some sort of a centrifuge.  I have heard other techniques such as  applying
voltage (both AC and DC) across the short.  Some have suggested discharging
large capacitors across the short.  One Ham I know simply attaches an AC
line cord across the elements and plugs it into the mains.  Apparently this
works, some times.  I have always wanted to try Richard's method but simply
have not done it.  I would like to hear success rates from the various
methods.

73 de K5JV

 Lon W. Cottingham
1110 Golden Bear Ln.