[Amps] SB-220 rebuild advice

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Sat Jul 22 12:31:15 EDT 2006

> 1.) It needs a properly rated HV glitch resitor, and that
> doesn't mean sticking a small metal resistor in the line.

All,

What type of glitch resistor is recommend to reasonably sustain a glitch
event?

Both Alphas in the shack here use 50W, 50-ohm Clarostat wire-wound types,
suspended from glazed-ceramic insulators.   My Alpha 70V originally had no
glitch resistor, nor clamping diodes (3 X 1N5408) from HV (-) to ground.  I
added these back in '98 with no problems in this area to date.

Paul, W9AC