[Amps] gun drilling liquid cooling holes and making

Tim O'Rourke w4yn at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 22 12:45:41 EDT 2006

If u can stand the wait send me the part and I will do all the work for u. If not I believe thet are refering to using an expanding roller mandrel to expand the tube. If u try anything else u will probably gauld the two metals together!
You can not easily solder copper to aluminum!
May I suggest you pipe tap the end of each hole and then attach tubing to manifold with 1/4 tube to 1/8 pipe adaptors.
I can drill and tap this for u if you want.
73

>Harold,
>    I will check at the auto hobby shop on base, they may have a bead blaster.  In absence of getting my hands on any sodium hydroxide, is there any household item that I may use to acid etch it like maybe some kind of draino product designed to free clogged drains?  If they don't have a bead blaster, I may just use emory cloth by hand on the fins.  Definitely won't paint it.
>    I am going to use a combination of this aluminum heat sink and also a copper heat spreader that I have coming off ebay and liquid cooling, yes this is going to be overkill but I don't see how that is going to hurt anything.
>   I am emailing some stateside machine shops about getting some "gun drilling" done for the liquid cooling holes (1/4inch across a 5 inch width).  I read that commercially, they expand the 1/4inch tubes inside the gun drilled holes but that isn't an option because I don't have a clue how to "expand" 1/4inch OD copper brake line inside of a gun drilled 1/4inch hole.  I was thinking to take a drill bit just a little larger in diameter after I get the gun drilling done and push the copper brake tubing in maybe 1/2" and then solder the tube in place.  I am concerned that once I heat up the heat spreader with a torch momentarily to get the solder to bond the brake tubing to the gun drilled hole then I will warp it.  If I warp it, this will open up a can of worms when trying to get a good surface to attach the heatsunk devices and the aluminum heat sink as well. Any ideas on how to attach the brake line to the heat spreader?  The heat spreader is 3/8" thick and the OD of the
> hole will be approximately 1/4" I've never worked with copper (C110) like this and another person even said the copper can get gummy when drilling it?

Tim O'Rourke
W4YN at ARRL.Net
Low Power Amateur Radio Rocks
Member of Flying Pigs,ARCI,GQRP,RSGB,ARRL Life Member
NHRA Life Member