[Amps] making aluminum heat sinks black

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Sat Jul 22 14:19:01 EDT 2006

It could be that they think the same as I do. Any time you anodize aluminum, there is actually a coating formed 1-2 mils deep on the aluminum. This is similar to the way an electrolytic cap is formed. It could effect the thermal transfer between the transistor/device and the aluminum. I would think it would be ok for all the heatsink except for the mounting surface. The probelm is, all the commercial heatsinks are anodized all over. One uses silicon grease to maximum the heat transfer to the aluminum, but the coating could limit it.

Best,

Will