[Amps] 3cx3000A7 driver

k7fm k7fm at teleport.com
Sun Jul 23 15:30:47 EDT 2006

> The first transceiver that rian high power was the Cosmophone 1000.  The
> Cosmophone 35 preceeded the Collins KWM-1 and featured a Collins
> mechanical
> filter and 2 built in vfos that could be switched to either or both.
>
> I have a Cosmophone and it is one of my prized rigs.

Colin:

That was a tease.  Tell us about the rig.  Tubes?  Power?

73, Barrie, W7ALW

The Cosmophone 1000 had 2 x 4x150 final tubes and was rated at 1,000 watts
input.  It has dual slide rule dials and a Collins mechanical filter.  It is
termed bi-lateral, which means you can switch either vfo to either the
transmitter or receiver separately or together.  It runs 1,000 watts input
with a separate power supply, and tunes 80 - 10 meters.  It came out in the
late 1950's and was a last ditch effort of the company. Although the
Cosmophone 35 was the first amateur ssb transceiver, it was ignored by
history and the Collins KWM-1 is heralded as the first ssb transceiver.  CQ
reviewed the Cosmophone 35 in about 1957.  It ran 35 watts with a single
6146 but was otherwise the same as the 1000.  Cosmophone built pto's for the
Collins R390 so Collins collectors may recognize the name if they have
pulled vfo's.

Few examples of either model of Cosmophone still exist - maybe a couple
dozen or so.

73,  Colin  K7FM