[Amps] "Tubes 201" - How Vacuum Tubes Really Work

R L Measures r at somis.org
Mon Jul 24 09:00:04 EDT 2006

On Jul 23, 2006, at 7:18 PM, Chris Howard wrote:

> I don't have a dog in this fight.  I've enjoyed and appreciated
> you guys educating me.
>
>> From where things ended up, it looks like some body of
> people say that the grid fuse/resistor idea really works
> and they are convinced their experience proves it.

Since the original article on anode circuit parasitic oscillations
appeared in the October 1988 issue of *QST*, 6000 or so HF amplifier
owners have installed one of our low VHF-Q parasitic suppressor
retrofit kits.  These kits have two purposes:  Lower VHF gain by over
50% and protect uncheap amplifier components such as tubes and meter
movements from possible damage. Tube protection is afforded by a
frangible grid fusing R and a sturdy current-limiting R in the HV+ PS
lead. So far, no user has reported the occurrence of a catastrophic
event taking place when a grid fusing R blew.  IOW, the grid floating
catastrophe theory doesn't float.

> There is another body of people that use reasoning/logic/etc
> to say that it could never work.

There were many who said Igor Sikorsky would never be able to get his
helicopter to fly.

> I myself have a bit of a hard time with the universal
> negative: "that will never work" type of argument.
> But I appreciate that folks on both sides have a lot
> more experience that I do.
>
> The real lesson for me was that there is such a fundamental
> disagreement on what is going on inside that little glass
> box.  It definitely doesn't look like settled doctrine.
> And that's OK with me, I can live with a little bit
> of ambiguity.
>
> The floating grid issue seems kind of intriguing.
> Maybe I'll get out some old octals or something and play
> around with that and see what happens. The "Tubes 201"
> guy seems to go both ways, one sentence says never float
> the grid, and the next sentence seems to allow for it.

Some pesky problems with the floating grid catastrophe theorem are:
1. The two most common grid materials, Au and Mo, are poor emitters
of electrons.
2. How can the grid get a low-emissivity element hot enough to begin
emitting a catastrophic quantity of electrons if the fusing element
opens and current though the grid stops before it gets hot?
3.  Arguing that a floating grid is a bad (after a glitch blows the
grid fusing element) because numerous books advise against floating
the grid during normal operation sounds a whole lot like straw-grasping.

cheers,Chris