[Amps] Fw: "Tubes 201" - How Vacuum Tubes Really Work

Phil Clements philc at texascellnet.com
Tue Jul 25 10:31:27 EDT 2006

>From what he wrote, what I understand is that to become positive is that
>the grid takes vales greater than 0 Volt.

Correctamundo!

> All right, if the grid is less negative it becomes more
> positive, but still negative if it's still under 0V potential.

Here is where you are confusing the folks. More positive is above ZERO
volts. Less negative is below ZERO volts. Anything that is negative or less
negative cannot become more positive until the voltage passes ZERO on its
way up. This is what the texts quoted in this thread say. It is the
"quoters" in the group that are confusing the issue by using the word
positive when the authors say less negative.

> If you read the actual TEXT from Terman, he states the grid
> will become positive.

That means above ZERO volts; not less negative, but some value above zero.

(((73)))
Phil Clements, K5PC