[Amps] setting the grid adrift

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Tue Jul 25 13:36:09 EDT 2006

I wish someone would answer a question I put out a few days back on this. How can a grid, connected to ground mind you, have a positive potential? Where would the charge on any gird go when connected to ground?

What is there to cause any charge to the grid? What are their polarity?

This brings the question of a floating gird, if it's not connected to anything, what happens at the grid? We all know the tube itself will start to act like a diode with high anode current, that's not the question. What will the grid do while floating there un-connected?

Last, if ions were to cause a grid to go into some emission, when the electrons leave the grid towards the anode, what's happening between the grid to the cathode? Keep in mind that the grid will have less electrons than before from emission, and electrons are still flying past it. Would the grid repel those electrons going by it? This grid is also connected to ground or 0 Vdc.

I'll let others figure this out.

Best,

Will