[Amps] setting the grid adrift

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Wed Jul 26 06:14:36 EDT 2006

>anode or other elemets when heated. According again to
>Terman, the gas is generally dealt quickly with, in the
>small arc, and it will work fine afterwards. Were talking
>about little >arcs similar to (maybe a little larger) what
>a megger or Hipot may cause if ran way above the specified
>anode voltage.

Will,

I'm trying to get some idea what your experience is Will,
since it certainly disarees with what I have seen and other
people on this reflector with design experience has seen.
I'm trying to get some idea of why the big diffference if
you have commercial or manufacturing experience with new
product.

Do you have any books besides the first edition of Terman?
His first edition was greatly improved on in later edtions,
and Terman isn't exactly a good tube-specific reference
becuase he sort of skims through tubes very and tube
circuits quickly. What books did you use at work?

What is your experience with amps? Who did you work for?
What type of amps were they? How often do you use amps on
the air? What is your callsign? (QRZ shows nothing)? Did
your company do its own service? Millitary or commercial or
amateur?

> These hardly make a sound. As Rich says, they make a
> "Tink" if I remember. That's what I've heard also as
> there's not enough gas in the tube to carry on like one
> that's lost its >evacuation. If it's a big loud crack,
> something else is up. That's my opinion on the subject,
> and what I've been trying to get across.

You're welcome to an opinion, just like everyone else, but a
while ago you agreed the grid fuse does no good. What's all
this "tink" stuff? Do you really think Eimac and everyone
else is wrong?

73 Tom