[Amps] flash arcs

Peter Chadwick g3rzp at g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 26 06:55:10 EDT 2006

According to Gossling's paper in the Journal of the IEE (which means it was certainly peer reviewed!), flash arcs is slightly affected by residual gas: the 'clean up' effect of the arc can lower the flashing voltage. He recommends series resistance in the anode supply (now where have we seen that recommended!) but says that it isn't generally pracitcable with valves over 10kW. He comments that the 'most general visible after effect is widespread tree like markings on the grid and filament supports. The fine wires in the active part of the grid are, however, never damaged.'
An interesting paper, with references back to late 1800s, when arcs of this sort in vacuum were described. Whether or not it would scan, I don't know - I only have a photocopy of a photocopy.
73
Peter G3RZP