[Amps] plasma inside 3-500Z TSPA

John T. M. Lyles jtml at lanl.gov
Fri Jul 28 14:12:41 EDT 2006

That photograph of the bright glow in the 3-500Z is exactly what i
saw when I tested my Continental 314R1 power rock AM transmitter when
the PDM damper diode was shorted. When HV came on, the main breaker
tripped quickly. In the short blast, the 3-500Z switch tube was being
driven with 8500 volts on the anode, into a short circuit with nearly
zerop bias. The tube survived it fine and is still in use.

73
John
K5PRO