[Amps] Ameritron Amps

k7fm k7fm at teleport.com
Sat Jul 29 09:00:15 EDT 2006

"why would one spend $850 on a AL-811H when you can find a 30L-1 for
considerably less?  An AL82 for $1300 instead of a L4B? Come on guys, you're
smoking that cheap stuff."

I just checked eham.net reviews of the AL-811H.  Out of 76 reviews, it
garnered a 4.6/5.  Not bad for an amp designed for price.  Quite a bit
different than the Yugo.

Replacement parts are available from the factorny on-line.  Neither the
30L-1 or the the L4-B are factory supported.  Also, as has been pointed out,
if you want 160 meters, the 30L-1 or L4-B can only go therre if extensively
modified.  As a matter of fact, most home built amps do not cover 160
meters, either.

If I were a salesman for the AL-811H or the AL82, I would be comparing the
features with the Collins and Drake.  For most buyers, the MFJ would be the
clear winner.

Colin  K7FM