[Amps] plexiglas isolation in coils

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Sun Jul 30 05:44:16 EDT 2006

Ok, I'll take your word. So the next question is why did the
plastic
supports melt when operated within the advertised ratings,
not once
but twice? Was #10 wire adequate?>>

I don't even know the S/N but most people found it so.
There could be several reasons.

Also, I didn'tmention it before but the first time the coil
failed,
the tap for 80 meters got hot enough to melt the solder and
it let go
in addition to warping the plastic supports. That time I was
able to
fix the coil, but the second time the supports melted so
thoroughly
the coil sprung itself into something resembling a pile of
spaghetti.
$25 bucks to replace it.>

I'd have stopped at the forst one and figured out the
problem.

On top of which you try to mock me and make fun of my posts.
You have
never admitted any fault whatsoever, nor ever offered a
simple
apology, either then or now. Do you understand why I'm still
pi**ed
after all these years?>>

I haven't mocked you and I certainly didn't make fun of you.

If you bought the amp new you never would have had to ask me
more than once to get a full refund or I would have found
the problem. Anyone who has dealt with me knows I always
took customer's concerns to heart. I can't even recall ever
talking to you so I have no idea what the details were. Of
course I regret the problems anyone might ever have and feel
bad when it happens, but on very rare occasions problems
can't be corrected. Once in a while what the customer
demands just can't be delivered.

It's a tough market. If every amp would have left the
factory able to stand up to 24 hour RTTY contests 100% of
the time with 100% of the users they would have been five
times the cost and Ameritron would have been out of business
in a few months. Often times the parts aren't even made to
do a certain job perfectly.

That isn't making fun of you Bill, it's just the way life
is.

73 Tom