[Amps] 160m RTTY

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Sun Jul 30 10:22:48 EDT 2006

>>I don't know how bad the multipath is, and obviously, it's
>>going to depend
>>on the path length and so on. However, SS Loran (Skywave
>>Synchronised)
>>LORAN was used in WW2 operating in 160m (How many of us
>>are old enough to
>>remember LORAN on top band?)

Multipath is the cause of selective fading on AM also. The
low frequency plus the common multipath propagation all
aggravated LORAN A, RTTY, and even skywave AM operation.
RTTY was banned on 160 (as was SSB) while LORAN was primary
navigation.

That's when 813's were considered high power, and 4-1000A's
for the criminally insane. A W6 still got busted for running
ten kW back when the legal night-time input power was 100
watts or so.

My first Europe QSO's were with G3PU and DL1FF, both at the
very edge of the LORAN A pulses.

http://www.w8ji.com/160_history.htm

http://www.w8ji.com/boatanchors.htm

http://www.jproc.ca/hyperbolic/loran_a.html