[Amps] Pre-heating of tubes

Peter Chadwick g3rzp at g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 31 02:12:03 EDT 2006

Hi Will,
Tubal Cain is dead now. He was a guy called Tom Walsh, a G2 plus 2, whow as very well known in model engineering circles.
You said: >Check again and see if that isn't degrees F your quoting.<
Now the Mullard data sheet on the TY2-125 triode says that the anode runs at bright red and specifies that as 850 deg C. 'Machinery's Handbook' - admittedly the 1924 edition, but I don't suppose it's changed! - says a 'full red heat' is 'about 1475 to 1500 degrees Fahrenheit.' That I make a bit over 800 deg C. Lead melts at 327 deg C, and molten lead isn't red hot. Indeed, going to 'Machinery's' again, we see molten lead for used for tempering for some applications.
My case rests!
73
Peter G3RZP