[Amps] resonance

Jim Forsyth jim at forsyth.net
Mon Jun 5 13:04:15 EDT 2006

Well it seems to me that the subject of resonance is about the fact that an
oscillation applied to a resonant system produces the greatest effect in
that system at a particular frequency. That frequency is of interest because
it has uses in the real world. In our case it allows us to select out a
desired radio signal from a spectrum of unwanted signals. It is therefore
useful to be able to calculate that frequency from the values of the system
components.

In a parallel tuned circuit containing resistance the frequency at which Xc
= Xl is not, in general, the frequency at which the greatest signal
magnification occurs so it is not useful as a definition. It can be used as
an approximation in cases where the resistance is low enough to be ignored.

Jim, AF6O