[Amps] IM distortion and such

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Tue Jun 27 14:44:18 EDT 2006

Tom,

No, your not showing everything I said. It does in fact mention "Two-Tone DC Plate Current 280 mA" It lists it in the same place with two different currents that would cause the same result (with single tone). That would be the only reason to place both under the same title. Though this is for class B, I said in a later e-mail that I know IMD would be better under class AB or B. Actually the IMD shown drops 5 dB by dropping the plate voltage and the plate current a small amount under another reference in the spec sheet before this.

For some odd reason, during the last 3-4 days, my mails to this list are not posting as soon as I send them. It is like they are being delayed by a few hours sometimes before they are posted. Some of these reference mail I have sent but hasn't been posted yet.

Again Quote;

RF Linear Amplifier
Grounded-Grid, Class B

Maximum Ratings

Typical operation (Minimum distortion products at 1 KW PEP input)**
DC Plate Voltage 2500V
Zero Signal DC Plate Current* 130 mA
Single-Tone DC Plate Current 400 mA
Single-Tone DC Grid Current 120 mA
Two-Tone DC Plate Current 280 mA
Two-Tone DC Grid Current 70 mA
Peak Envelope Useful Output Power 600W
Resonant Load Impedance 3450 Ohms
Intermodulation Distortion Products -33 dB

*Approximate Value
** Measured Data From A Single Tube

End Quote

Better IMD was obtained by lowering the plate voltage under "(Minimum Distortion Products)" at -38 dB, 500W, and at 2000 Vdc.

Best,

Will