[Amps] Alpha 78 voltage sag

TexasRF@aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Thu Mar 2 10:35:33 EST 2006

Martin, your hv power supply has a capacitor style filter circuit. The peak
current drawn from your AC line can be as high as 10 times the average
current.  When you observe the 2.5vac sag this is an average reading. The actual peak
 voltage sag can be as much as ten times this amount due to the ten times
peak  current.

If you monitor the AC line voltage with your scope you should be able to  see
this effect easily. You may need to add an isolation transformer to do this
test safely. Any small power transformer will work for this. If the voltage
sag  is due to the wiring in your house, you might be able to improve it, just
as  using 6mm wire already did. If the voltage sag is seen at the service
entrance  then the only hope for improvement is through your power company.

Just knowing the cause of the voltage drop may be enough to satisfy the
problem. Most amplifier users here in the USA are fortunate to have very stiff  ac
line voltage with very little sag under load. These users will not see the
big voltage drop you are seeing. At my remote qth I decided to install my own
underground AC service because the power company wanted too much money to
install theirs and they wanted to use power poles. The cable is 4/0 aluminum
about 900ft long. I knew there would be a voltage drop issue just as you are
seeing but it is as expected and therefore not an issue. I see key up to key
down ac and dc voltage sag similar to yours and it has not caused any  problems.

Hope this helps.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 3/2/2006 8:45:53 A.M. Central Standard Time,