[Amps] For cats sake!

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 6 08:13:24 EST 2006

Rich,

Isn't a choke an iron core with one coil on it? What if we put a tap on the choke, that's the same at the wiper on the back, only it moves from coil to coil. One could say an autotransformer is just a big choke as it uses one coil instead of two. It's according to how you connect it for use. Now if we took that variac and placed it in series with one line lead going to the plate transformer instead of the conventional way, that to me is the same as a variable choke. You can hook one side of the variacs coil to the line, and the other side either left unhooked or connected to the wiper, then the wiper side on to the primary of the plate transformer. It's just like adding a rheostat in series except you have the benefit of AC impedance. If a choke wont drop or impede an AC current, I guess I do need to re-take a course in AC theory.

Best,

Will