[Amps] cleaning contacts and pots?

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 6 11:18:38 EST 2006

For relay contacts, you can try some of the chemicals by GC Electronics. The old way is to use a contact burnisher which GC makes also. The last way I found was to use CLR. That's right, CLR from the department store used to clean and remove tarnish from silver and copper. It's actually a mild form of acid. Put some on a Q-Tip and wipe it over the contacts, then clean them off with a spray cleaner that leaves no residue. It will remove all the tarnish and other gunk off the silver on the contacts or on copper either one. Try it on something else first as you may want to thin it down with some water if you think its too strong. I never felt it was, but I used a good non-residue spray (like the old freon type, etc) cleaner immedately afterwards. Also check to see that the relays armature is tight as it should be and that the spring hasn't lost tension.

Best,

Will