[Amps] Transformers in series

Bill Turner dezrat at copper.net
Sun Mar 12 16:01:04 EST 2006

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

At 06:50 PM 3/11/2006, Barrie Smith wrote:
>I know I can get double the rated voltage of each transformer this
>way, but what about the amperage, does it double, too?

Another subtlety to be aware of when doing this is the insulation
between windings and core. If the core is grounded, as it should be,
and one end of the series string is also grounded, the core at the
high end of the string is experiencing twice the voltage it was designed for.

In some configurations this is important and in others it is not.
Just something to keep in mind during the design phase.

Bill, W6WRT