[Amps] Microwave Oven Autopsy

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 12 19:22:22 EST 2006

Marv,

Did you check to see if one of the windings was connected to the core, and if the core had a shunt in it? That is what most have that I've seen. Another thing that really ticks me about their manufacture, and a few other transformers too, is they weld the lams together. They put a weld right down one side of the lams, front to back, one bead about 1/4" wide. That makes them a bit*h to use for a rewind. A person with a mill, or be good with a disc grinder can remove the weld. Also, the shunt needs to be driven out with a hammer. This is really good though as it gives you more vertical window area for a new coil. What gets me though is why weld them and still use screws to hold the lams together?

Best,

Will