[Amps] Proof of idiocy

HAROLD B MANDEL ka1xo at juno.com
Mon Mar 13 07:43:20 EST 2006

It is possible that the threads are bunged on the
leadscrew or the collar, but good  luck locating
a tap or die!

These threads are Jennings proprietary pitch
and once fouled there is no way to chase them
or to re-cut.

The alternative is to substitute pieces from
another vacuum variable and hope for the
best.

If the junction that pulls the bellows on the
room-pressure side is gone and the threads are
still good then the piece can be used for the collars
and lead screw threading.

Allen Bond and Economy sell very decent vacuum
variables to the amateur. I have bought several
ceramic and glass types from each. The most important
feature is that both of these businesses HiPot each
item before it ships and will not send a DOA or
leaky variable.

Buyer Beware: Things seeming to be too good to be
true often are.

Hal
W4HBM

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 19:35:08 -0500 "Will Matney" <craxd1 at verizon.net>
writes:
> $148 and gowing on! The only usable piece looks to me like would be
> the flange on the rear. The high bidder now looks to be an
> engineering firm......
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/Jennings-Vacuum-Variable-Capacitor-5-kV-9-500-pF_W0Q
QitemZ7597842893