[Amps] Boat-Anchor Cleanliness

R at contesting.com R at contesting.com
Wed Mar 15 16:37:49 EST 2006

On Mar 15, 2006, at 12:57 PM, Jim Kearman wrote:

> From: HAROLD B MANDEL <ka1xo at juno.com>
>
>> Hotel room bathrooms and kitchenettes are best for this
>> type of renovation.
>
> At my age, I recommend the single life and condo-dwelling! No yard
> work, and no nagging. Just make sure there are ample trees on the
> property from which to hang lowband antennas at night

Harold -- #30 phosphor-bronze wire, and black dacron (because its low
D-factor makes it a good RF-insulator) sailmaker's thread can be used
to construct a virtually invisible end-fed antenna that can be matched
efficiently with an L-network.  A rain gutter downspout can be used as
a RF-ground/counterpoise.  However, with this system, the input to the
L-network should contain a coaxial choke balun since the common-ground
terminals on the L-network will have some RF on them.  Plastic knobs
and adjusting the L-network at <5W is not a bad idea - except of course
for those who are into hellish pain and suffering.
    Since #32 is known to be able to handle 1500w pep on SSB with ease,
my guess is that #30 is good for 3kW provided that a small loop is at
the far end of the wire to minimize corona effect. The ideal length for
the wire is a half-wave, or multiples thereof.  The name for a
half-wave end-fed antenna is: Hertz.
    note -- phosphor-bronze wire is available on-line.