[Amps] CHASSIS

R at contesting.com R at contesting.com
Thu Mar 16 03:52:27 EST 2006

On Mar 15, 2006, at 5:47 PM, N7KA at comcast.net wrote:

> Nothing wrong with wood box for power supply, been using them since
> 1960s. HOWEVER, I do make them look nice, walnut stained birch plywood
> (3/4 thick). Width wide enough for standard 19 inch rack panels,
> rollers on bottom.  Set the amp on top of box and enclosed back of box
> also, used G-10 glass board to mount HV connector, and holes in rear
> cover for air circulation (fan helpful if screened).  Wood is good
> insulator. Make HV supplies "cat proof."  Helps save marriages.

Amen, Arne, and plywood is stiffer pound for pound than metal.  During
WW-2, the most common beach landing craft were made of mahogany
plywood.   These craft were designed and manufactured by Andrew Higgins
in New Orleans, Louisiana.  Higgins' boats were used in both Europe and
the Pacific theatres.