[Amps] series-connecting a split-stator variable cap

Vic K2VCO vic at rakefet.com
Mon Mar 20 10:56:38 EST 2006

Scott Townley wrote:
> I have a dual (split-stator) 20-100pF air cap, 0.040" gap (so ~1500V)
> I need a single 15-50pF, 3000V for a tank tuning cap.
> So is there any reason I can't simply series-connect the split stators and
> float the rotor?

One advantage of this is that there will be no current flow through the
wipers connecting the rotor to the frame.  I presume that, especially if
it's an old capacitor and the wipers aren't in top condition, the normal
connection will have a certain amount of loss (= heating) caused by the
tank's circulating current.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco