[Amps] MW Oven Transformer question

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 21 17:39:15 EST 2006

Tony,

To be honest, I forgot about those welds. If the welds are close to the ends of the core it wont be so bad as the flux will have already started to bend down into the legs. What the welds do is act as a thick piece of iron would if placed where the flux will pass through it. Also, it's according how deep the welds are, but they will increase the losses if over in the magnetic path. A thick piece of iron has high eddy currents and is the reason for using thin laminations. The thinner the better and it increases with frequency so you have to use thinner lams as you go up in frequency. In these, I'd say the lams are either 14 mils or could be a shade thicker. They'll try to use the thickest they can to cut down on the time it takes to stack a core. They're penny pinchers and this is evident. Really, the thru bolts holding the lams together should be insulated if they're steel because of this same thing as they can heat up but another reason exsists, read on. If they're placed way up in the corner as most are, the effect isn't as bad for the same reason that the flux has bent down the leg and missed them some. They'll still get some, but not as much if they were down in the leg itself. An uninsulated screw acts as a short between the lams and will have high eddy currents in it plus can act sort of like a 1/4 turn winding if it's grounded to the frame! If you have a low voltage in a winding, what do we get with a short, very high current. The lams are insulated between each other to lower the eddys. A weld counterdicts this where it's at. Most of the screws will have an insulated step washer on each end and some have used thin tubing over the whole screw. This being said, and according to how many welds on it, I'd knock the efficiency back to about 75-80%. It would be a good bit lower than this for one running by itself. By the flux density being so low, the efficiency will be high.

Best,

Will