[Amps] Need some 220K 2 watt carbon resistors

R at contesting.com R at contesting.com
Mon Mar 27 04:23:08 EST 2006

On Mar 26, 2006, at 4:25 PM, Will Matney wrote:

> There still available, though more expensive now. Mouser can probably
> get them, but I think Allied Electronics has them. I'm not sure what
> brand they are. I remember seeing them in one of those catalogs.
> Another place to look is the surplus houses or sometimes on ebay.

Carbon-film resistors make good grid-fusing resistors, providing the
W-rating is such that they are able to open fast enough to protect the
grid during a glitch.  For grid fusing with 811As and 3-500Zs, I use
30-ohm, 0.25W-rated carbon film resistors.  I tried using 0.5W-rated,
30-ohm units, but I discovered that they were a bit too hard to blow to
protect 811As.
    In my opinion, a blown 51-ohm, 2W grid resistor in an 811A amplifier
indicates that a VHF parasitic oscillation may have taken place, so
merely replacing the resistor is not the solution.