[Amps] SS vs. Tubes (was   "I gotta tell this")

Peter Chadwick g3rzp at g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 30 02:39:14 EST 2006

The mechanics of the cooling of the SS amp, plus the low voltage, high current  wiring and PSU, make the kW SS amp a bit more complicated than the tube amp, at least to my mind. The overall efficiency is no better, the flexibility to handle high (up to 3:1) SWR requires a built in tuner, which at low impedance can lead to awkwardly higher capacitances on variables unless the impedance is stepped up, all suggest that for home brewing, tubes are easier. Forgetting, for the moment, costs, of course.......
And we don't frequency hop that fast - not even in the SS contests!
73
Peter G3RZP