[Amps] Quad Tube 4cx800 hf amp

R L Measures r at somis.org
Sat May 27 07:55:27 EDT 2006

On May 26, 2006, at 3:02 PM, Peter Voelpel wrote:

> Phil,
>
> The 8660 is the equivalent to the 4CX1500B,
> The driver tubes are 8122 I found out.
>
> Again, if I drive a 8171 to not more then 1,5KW output ever,
> it should be tuned for that power, not for 20KW

However, if an 8171 is tuned for max suds in AB1, it is easy to back
the mic. gain down to the point where it produces 1500w in Class A --
resulting in superb linearity.  In the event that more power is
needed to communicate, one merely advances the mic. gain.  In the
event that 1500w is too much, one can run barefoot or turn down the
mic. gain even more.  .