[Amps] Henry 3K trouble

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Wed Nov 1 08:17:41 EST 2006

> The HV came back after replacing the resistor, however now
> my grid
> current goes way high.  Even keying the amp with no audio
> on SSB shows
> about 15 to 20 mils of grid current.
>
> When I applied some excitation (maybe 5-10 watts), it did
> indicate
> output and plate current, however not knowing if the meter
> was reading
> correct or not, I did not take much time to measure actual
> output for
> fear of losing the grid.  With 20 to 40 watts of drive,
> the grid
> reading nearly goes off scale with no effect turning the
> load cap.
> SWR is 1:1, so no problem there.

Brian,

That is almost always a short from the negative rail of the
HV to ground at the filter capacitor side of the metering
circuit.
What that will do is place the grid meter in parallel with
the plate current meter.

Look for a diode that goes from the chassis to the negative
rail. It is normally a conventional rectifier diode,
although it could be a low voltage zener.

73 Tom