[Amps] Henry 3K trouble

Robert B. Bonner rbonner at qro.com
Wed Nov 1 13:34:16 EST 2006

I agree. Bob dd
Sent From Mobile Device

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 16:55:57
To:amps at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Henry 3K trouble

A.R.S. -  W5AMI wrote:
>Just took D105 and C105 out of the circuit and removed C105 off of
>D105.  D105 is shorted both ways, so I'm going to go ahead and replace
>it and C105 before I go any further.  Maybe this will be the simple
>solution.  I hope!

This diode is meant to handle the current surge, not be destroyed by it.
Many older amps use "1-amp" diodes like the 1N4001-4007 series, which
don't have a high enough surge current rating.

The replacement should be at least a "3-amp" diode like the 1N5400-5408,
or better still one of the big fat 6A diodes like the GI750 or P600
series.

Peak  inverse voltage doesn't matter in this application, so you could
use any diode that has a high enough current rating.

You'll may well find that C106 is OK, as the diode sacrificed itself to
protect it.

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek