[Amps] Heath SB220 Zener Replacement

Mike Schatzberg cherokeehillfarm at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 1 17:34:45 EST 2006

A string of 2.5 amp silicon rectifiers, with any PIV rating, with a .01uF
cap across the string, can be substituted for the zener diode.  I added
diodes into the string until the idling current for the pair of triodes was
about 160 milliamps.  This should be about 5 to 7 diodes.

Higher idling current up to about 200 milliamps, should also provide good
linearity, run the triodes somewhat hotter, and be somewhat easier to drive
to full output.

The anode side of the silicon rectifier string should be inserted into the
circuit where the old zener diode cathode was formerly connected.  The
silicon rectifier is forward conducting, whereas the zener diode is reverse
conducting, hence the change.

73 and Happy DXing,

Mike
W2AJI