[Amps] 4CX1500 class AB1 vs. AB2

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Thu Nov 2 18:58:29 EST 2006

No I did mean the 32S1, KWM2 etc. but the 30S1 falls into the same category
as alc and grid protection are derived in a similar manner in all. A
moderate grid impedance protects the tubes from excessive grid current.

Negative feedback has little to do with being better at reducing the
distortion produced by running into grid current than having no feedback.
Sure an amp with feedback is going to lower the overall distortion X number
of Db but on a relative scale overshoot problems are going to create the
same amount of difference in distortion products whether there is feedback
or not.

The question still remains, how do you protect the grid of a 4CX type tube
from excess grid current with a stiff bias supply?

73
Gary  K4FMX