[Amps] Zener Bias Replacement

Marv Gonsior w6frmarv at dslextreme.com
Tue Nov 7 15:07:05 EST 2006

>I've been following this string with a great deal of interest as
>some years ago, W6GNX and I made bias measurements on three
>different legal limit 8877 amps.  Two were home brew and one was a
>Henry 3K Classic X.  All were measured up to 1A of anode
>current.  We no longer have the data but the diode strings were by
>far the worst regulators as compared to a Zener and a simple
>transistor regulator.  The developed 12V from the diode string
>continuously rose with the current like a rubber band and, obviously
>as now a number of inputs have shown, the t.c. is part of the
>problem let alone having ~20 diodes to assemble for an 8877.  The
>suggestion of two 6V Zeners seems like a very good choice.

In my case, with the two different 8877 amps, the Henry was pretty
bad and it used a  Semtech diode pack (replaced with a 50W Zener on a
good heat sink) and the rise was in the order of several volts at
peak anode current.  Obviously, this leads to current and power
limiting and IMD generation.  In my opinion the diode string is the
worst thing one could do for biasing!  In a number of times, in the
past. when I have read where someone extolled the virtues of doing
this, I have written and asked for a measurement but never had a
reply.  I have to wonder why.  It is refreshing to see the current
interest in this area and it would be a real benefit to all to see
some additional, meaningful measurement data being published.