[Amps] Class A for AM

Jim Tonne tonne at comcast.net
Tue Nov 14 22:00:00 EST 2006

> . . . the dissipation would be 6000 watts minus power
>  out for any given output power.

I have to share with you guys a comment from a fellow
at a major broadcast equipment manufacturer (located
in Dallas, Texas).

We were chatting about a circa 1970 screen-modulated
AM rig.  Those things are also "efficiency-modulated"
and so operate at about the same efficiency as a pure
linear amplifier.  We were talking about a 10 kW
carrier output AM rig.

He made the interesting statement that "to keep the thing
cool you either modulate hell out of it or shut it off",
which statement I found fascinating!

- JimT