[Amps] Class A fo AM

zl1aih at ihug.co.nz zl1aih at ihug.co.nz
Wed Nov 15 03:09:01 EST 2006

Hi all,
Please forgive my failing memory, but was not
"efficiency modulation" (in the time before SSB)
taken to it's extreme with 'clamp tube' operation of
tetrodes e.g. 807s?

As a young (16 year-old) ham, I tried clamp-tube
modulation because I couldn't afford a big
modulation transformer etc.

It got a bad rep because AM ops didn't switch off
their receiver's AGC - in those days, they were either
CW or Phone ops (has anything changed?).

In the '60's, a Marconi "Kestrel" marine transmitter
(two 6146s) used a modified form of "controlled
carrier" on AM that worked very well - some of the
plate modulator output was rectified and used to
supplement a lowered standing screen voltage.

I don't know who copied whom, but there was a
similar circuit published in CQ Magazine around the
same time.<G>

73, Ken ZL1AIH