[Amps] Class A for AM

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Wed Nov 15 11:45:07 EST 2006

It has to do with the plate load impedance that the tube sees. In order to
handle the modulation peaks the load on the tube must show the proper
impedance to allow the proper plate voltage swing for that power.

When the load is tuned for the peak power, as it must be to avoid flat
topping while allowing the full peaks to develope, then the load is not
optimum for the lower power of the carrier so efficiency suffers at carrier
power.

If the amplifier is tuned for greater efficiency at carrier power then the
tube will run out of plate voltage swing range when it tries to reach
necessary peak power that the audio peaks demand. Flat topping will result
which produces distortion and splatter.

The 50% efficiency change in a class B amplifier happens to work out to 50%
because of the parameters that the tube must operate at in class B.
In the class A tube operation the efficiency change is greater but again is
necessary to allow proper development of peak envelope power.

Because of the 100% conduction angle of plate current in class A, input
power remains constant regardless of signal input or output so the
efficiency change range will be greater than with class B.

73
Gary  K4FMX